Registration and stamp duty rebates and reduction
When registering a vehicle in Queensland, the stamp duty is known as vehicle registration duty. This duty is paid when applying for, or transferring, registration of a vehicle.
There are no reductions or rebates for vehicle registration duty, however there are a number of exemptions from having to pay vehicle registration duty.
These exemptions apply:
- to all trailers, caravans and motorised wheelchairs
- where the vehicle has been previously registered by yourself in Queensland or another state
- where you are gifting the vehicle to one of the following relatives:
- your spouse
- your parent or grandparent, or your parent or grandparent’s spouse
- your child, stepchild or grandchild, or the spouse of your child, stepchild or grandchild
- if you are an ex-serviceperson entitled to a registration concession.
Check the full list of exemptions from vehicle registration duty.