Raising your grandchildren full-time can be very rewarding but also challenging. At times you may feel physically and emotionally drained and question your ability to cope. There is support available.
Time for Grandparents program
The Time for Grandparents program organises free day activities and camps for children, giving you a break. They also organise free overnight support and respite camps for you and your grandchildren.
The overnight ‘grandfamily’ camps for children and their grandparents provide:
- safe and enjoyable recreational activities run by qualified instructors for both grandparents and grandchildren
- an opportunity to meet other grandparents to share information and family experiences
- information sessions on parenting issues, finances and legal matters as well as a range of individual and group counselling sessions
- information about local support systems and services available in your community.
The program is for:
- grandparents who are the primary carer of their grandchildren and are are not receiving the fostering allowance
- relative/kinship carers approved by the Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services.
Phone the Grandparents Information Line on 1300 135 500 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) for information and bookings.
A Grandparent Support Group is an opportunity to make new friends and get advice and information from other grandparents in similar situations.
The Queensland Council of Grandparents advocates for and represents the interests of grandparents and their support groups in Queensland—phone (07) 3287 1664.
Grandparent Advisers have been introduced in selected Centrelink Customer Service Centres to support grandparents with full-time caring responsibility for their grandchildren. You can also get support by calling the Family Assistance Office on 13 61 50 or visiting the Families - Australian Government Department of Human Services website.
Find out about concessions, rebates and assistance available to eligible pensioners and concession card holders.
The Grandparents Information website can put you in touch with relevant services, support groups and programs.
The Seniors Enquiry Line can provide you with information, advice, support and referrals on topics such as parenting, legal, financial, family conflict, health, child care and counselling support. Call 1300 135 500.
Read tips for raising children of various age groups.
Know the child restraint laws for children under 7. Child restraint services including hiring, purchasing, checking and installing restraints are available throughout Queensland.
Learn basic first aid skills for children at a Queensland Ambulance Service course. Book online and save 10%.