Applying for a birth certificate
You can get a Queensland birth certificate if you or the person you are applying for were born or adopted (and registered) here—use the birth certificate application form for your first birth certificate or a replacement birth certificate. We do not send a certificate when a birth is registered—you will need to buy one.
If you were born or adopted outside of Queensland, contact the registering authority interstate or overseas.
Your standard birth certificate is a recognised identity document and may be used when:
- enrolling at a school (Education Queensland)
- joining a sports club in Queensland
- applying for an Australian passport
- applying for a Queensland driver licence
- getting a job
- registering a marriage or relationship
- accessing Australian government benefits.
There are 2 types of certificate—standard and commemorative. Only a standard birth certificate can be used for official purposes.
From time to time, we release limited edition commemorative birth certificates. We are currently offering limited edition ANZAC commemorative certificates—find out how to apply for one.
Commemorative birth certificate packages include a standard birth certificate.
How to apply
To apply for a birth certificate or commemorative birth certificate package, you need to:
- Check the certificate access policy that you are eligible to apply.
- Print and complete the birth certificate application form.
- Get your supporting document certified by a Justice of the Peace or another authorised person.
- Attach your certified proof of ID documents.
- Attach additional supporting documents, if required.
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit your application form and certified documents to us by post or at the counter.
Post your completed application form with your certified documents to:
Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188
CITY EAST QLD 4002
Certificates take 10 business days—or 2 business days for urgent applications.
Visit the Brisbane Registry at 110 George Street, Brisbane with your completed application form and your original proof of ID and other supporting documents. If the birth has already been registered, certificates will be ready after 2.30pm the next business day. Urgent certificates are ready in 3 hours (or the next business day if you apply after 1.30pm).
- 2 business days for Magistrates Court (no urgent applications)
- 5 business days or 2 business days for urgent applications for QGAP office.
Please allow extra time for Australia Post to deliver your birth certificate to your address.
Pay the fee
You will need to work out the total cost of your order and make sure to pay the correct, exact amount.
You can pay:
- by credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
- with cash at the counter
- by cheque in the mail or at the counter
- by money order in the mail or at the counter.
Make cheques and money orders payable to the 'Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages'.
Commemorative birth certificate designs
Commemorative birth certificate package—includes one standard birth certificate (standard postage included)
|Standard birth certificate (standard postage included)||$42|
Late registration fee for outside 60 day registration period
Postage is included when you order a certificate to be sent by mail.
You can request to have your certificate posted by express or registered post for a fee.
|International registered post||$14.40|
|International express post||$15.35|
|International Air Mail for commemorative certificates||$8.95|
Australian passport office
You can pay an additional $7.10 fee to get your certificate faxed to the Australian passport office when required for an urgent passport application interview. Certificates will be faxed by 4.30pm the next business day, or the same business day if you pay the urgent fee. The Brisbane registry, your nearest Queensland Magistrates Court or Queensland Government Agent Program (QGAP) office, offer this service.
Change of sex on certificate
If you have had a sex change and were born or adopted in Queensland, you can apply to have your new sex noted on your birth or adoption certificate. You must be over 18 and not married. If you are married you must get divorced to apply. If you are under 18, your parent or guardian can apply on your behalf.
For more information
Email email@example.com, these enquiries are replied to within 2 business days.
Call 1300 366 430 (Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm).