Taxi Subsidy Scheme
The Taxi Subsidy Scheme subsidises taxi travel—half of the total fare, up to a maximum of $25 per trip—for people with severe disabilities.
Taxi Subsidy Scheme membership lasts for a maximum of 5 years. To extend your membership, you must reapply before the expiry date.
If you have a temporary disability, membership could be from 6 to 12 months.
To be eligible you must be a permanent resident of Queensland and able to fully meet at least 1 of the 6 eligibility criteria listed below:
- Physical disability requiring dependence on a wheelchair for all mobility outside the home.
- Severe ambulatory problem that cannot functionally be improved and restricts walking to an extremely limited distance.
- Total loss of vision or severe visual impairment (both eyes).
- Severe and uncontrollable epilepsy with seizures involving loss of consciousness.
- Intellectual impairment or dementia resulting in the need to be accompanied by another person at all times for travel on public transport.
- Severe emotional and/or behaviour disorders with a level of disorganisation resulting in the need to be accompanied by another person at all times for travel on public transport.
How to apply
- Complete part A of the Taxi Subsidy Application Form*
- Provide 2 passport size photos.
- Visit your doctor or specialist and have them complete parts B and C of the application form.
- Mail the completed application with the photographs to:
Taxi Subsidy Unit
Department of Transport and Main Roads
PO Box 13347
BRISBANE QLD 4003
*You can download and print the form here:
- Taxi subsidy application form (PDF, 268KB)
- This form is not currently available as an RTF—please call 1300 134 755 if the PDF form is not accessible to you.
To find out more about the Taxi Subsidy Scheme, call the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 1300 134 755.