- Planning your budget
- No Interest Loan Scheme
- Rent or mortgage assistance
- Financial advice
- Financial and emotional support
- Support from charities
- Helpful resources
A budget is a simple way to keep track of your money. It may help you save for upcoming bills or unplanned expenses. Try out the interactive budget planner.
The No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) provides individuals and families on a low income access to safe, fair and affordable credit. Programs are run by local community organisations at over 600 locations across Australia.
To qualify you must:
- have a Health Care Card/Pension Card or be on a low income
- reside in your current premises for more than 3 months
- show a willingness and capacity to repay.
In certain circumstances, the community organisation may consider amending the eligibility criteria upon loan application.
You can find out more about:
- the Age Pension
- a pension or compensation from the Department of Veteran's Affairs.
- concessions cards
- concessions and rebates.
You may be eligible for rent or mortgage assistance through:
- mortgage relief loans
- rental grants
- the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS)
- rental bond loans
- Centrelink’s rent assistance scheme.
Financial counsellors can provide you with advice about your finances, which may include:
- assessing your financial position
- choosing products to suit your financial position and needs
- identifying your financial goals
- helping you with decisions about how to better use your money.
Centrelink delivers a range of payments and services for people at times of major change.
Newstart Allowance offers financial help if you are looking for work. It supports you while you do activities that may increase your chances of finding a job.
Youth Allowance offers financial help for people aged 16 to 24 years who are studying full-time, undertaking a full-time Australian Apprenticeship, training, looking for work or sick.
If you are out of work, financial and emotional support is also available from these community organisations:
Charity organisations provide a range of support directly to people in need.