Electricity and reticulated natural gas rebates for residential home parks and multi-unit residential premises
Information for proprietors/owners
If you are a proprietor/owner of a residential home park or multi-unit residential property, contact your energy retailer for more detailed information about rebates available and for application forms. These rebates are arranged through the energy retailer only, not through the Queensland Government.
Owners or proprietors of residential home parks or multi-unit residences are required to claim for a rebate on behalf of eligible pensioners or seniors. The scheme is available for premises where the proprietor:
- is the consumer of the energy retailer
- supplies electricity and/or reticulated natural gas to each of the separately identifiable vans, flats or home units
- charges for electricity and/or reticulated natural gas used by the tenants based on individually metered consumption.
To be eligible, pensioners and seniors must hold any of the following:
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (and receive the War Widow/er Pension or special rate TPI Pension)
- Queensland Seniors Card.
Eligible pensioners and seniors must live alone or share the premises with:
- their spouse or other eligible card holders
- other people wholly dependent on them
- other people who are social security recipients, and who do not pay rent
- other people who live with the resident to provide care and assistance, and who do not pay rent.
Submitting an application
The proprietor is responsible for completing and submitting the initial rebate application form including details of each claimant’s name, their signature, card type and number.
Residents must give permission for the energy retailer, federal and state governments to check their details.
By signing the document, the proprietor declares that:
- the claimants were residents for the period covered by the electricity and/or reticulated natural gas account
- the residents’ electricity and/or reticulated natural gas charges were based on individually metered consumption
- the number of people for which the rebate is claimed and the amount of the claim is correct
- they have sighted a valid and eligible concession card
- residents have already received a reduction in their electricity and/or reticulated natural gas charges or will receive it with their next bill.
The proprietor can obtain a rebate form from their energy retailer. The form should be submitted when the account is paid.
- The rebate is only available for electricity and/or reticulated natural gas.
- The rebate is not available to users of bottled or cylinder (LPG) gas or bulk hot water systems.
- The rebate does not apply to dormitory, motel, nursing home, ‘rooms to let’ or ward type accommodation.
- Claims are limited to one per residence.
- A pensioner or senior can only claim the electricity and/or reticulated natural gas rebate for one residence in Queensland.
- The rebate is for permanent Queensland residents only.
- Claimants are only required to sign the initial application form unless they leave the residence and return at a later date. In that case, they must sign a form for the first full billing period after their return.
- The retailer accepts no liability if an application is lost.
- The retailer may request the claimant complete the declaration when renewing an application for the rebate.
- The rebate will appear on the electricity and/or reticulated natural gas account. In no instance will the rebate paid be greater than the usage charges.
- The proprietor may face legal action if they have knowingly submitted a fraudulent claim.
Information for seniors/pensioners
If you are a pensioner or a senior living in a residential home park or multi-unit residential premises (e.g. apartment building) you can obtain a rebate for your electricity and/or reticulated natural gas costs.
If you are eligible, the owner or proprietor of the residence must claim the rebate on your behalf and pass the rebate on through a reduction in your electricity and/or reticulated natural gas charges.
If you are a resident, please contact the proprietor/owner of your premises to find out more about this rebate.