Electricity and gas rebates
Electricity and gas rebates
Queensland pensioners and seniors may be eligible for:
- the Electricity Rebate—$282.54 per year (GST inclusive)
- the Reticulated Natural Gas Rebate—$65.58 per year (GST inclusive).
Please note, all rebates are GST inclusive. Rebates for eligible card holders may appear as GST exclusive on bills.
Rebates are available to people who hold any of the below:
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (and receive the War Widow/er Pension or special rate TPI Pension)
- Queensland Seniors Card.
To be eligible, the card holder must also live alone or share their principal place of residence with (only) any of the below:
- their spouse
- other people who hold a Pensioner Concession Card or Queensland Seniors Card
- other people wholly dependent on them
- other people who receive an income support payment from Centrelink, the Family Assistance Office, or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and who do not pay rent
- other people who live with the card holder to provide care and assistance, and who do not pay rent.
If you live in caravan park or multi-unit residential building (e.g. apartment), you must also show that the:
- electricity or reticulated natural gas is paid on the basis of individually metered consumption, or
- owner/proprietor is prepared to seek the Electricity Rebate or the Reticulated Natural Gas Rebate on your behalf.
How to apply for the rebate
You can either apply over the phone, or ask your retailer to send you an application form.
Contact your electricity or gas retailer for full eligibility details:
- Australian Gas Light Company (AGL)—131 245
- Australian Power and Gas (APG)—133 298
- Click Energy—1800 775 929
- Country Energy (now a part of Origin)—132 356
- Diamond Energy—1300 838 009
- Dodo Power and Gas—13 36 36
- EnergyAustralia—133 466
- Ergon Energy—13 10 46
- ERM Power—(07) 3020 5100
- Integral Energy Australia—133 753
- Lumo Energy—1300 115 866
- Momentum Energy—1300 662 778
- Origin Energy—13 24 63
- Power Direct—1300 307 966
- QEnergy—1300 44 85 36
- Sanctuary Energy—1800 109 099
- Simply Energy—138 808
You may need to provide details such as your account number, so have copies of your bills handy so you can provide the necessary information to verify your eligibility.
Rebates are paid by automatic deduction from the cost of your bill.
Find out more about rebates for residents of home park or multi-unit residential premises.
- Medical Cooling and Heating Electricity Concession Scheme providing concessions for people who have specific medical conditions requiring the use of an air-conditioner to regulate their body temperature.
- Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme which helps low-income earners to pay energy bills at a time of crisis or in emergencies.
- Phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
- Use the energy savings calculators to find out how much energy and money you can save around the house by switching to energy efficient practices and products.
- The energy ratings and water ratings of appliances can help you compare products based on their energy and water efficiency.
- Choice consumer advocacy group investigates ways to reduce your household's energy use.
- Savewater has information on rebates and incentive schemes related to water use.
- Information on sustainable housing can help you make home make environmentally friendly and cost-effective decisions when buying, building or renovating a home.